Add discussion of what to expect when transitioning an existing project
Submitted by Wayne Beaton
We need some discussion of what existing projects should expect when transitioning to Eclipse/LocationTech/PolarSys. This belongs in the "Starting a New Open Source Project" section.
Projects transitioning to Eclipse are required to:
- Transfer ownership any existing project name to the EF;
- Transfer existing domain names that use the project name trademark to the EF;
- Conform to the Eclipse Logo & Trademark usage guidelines on project websites and in communication with the community (e.g. in slide decks);
- Conform to the Eclipse Development Process;
- Conform to the Eclipse IP Policy and follow the Eclipse IP Due Diligence Process;
- Maintain metadata pertaining to the project using the EF-provided PMI;
- Use EF-provided VCS for all project source code;
- Host binary distributions from EF-provided downloads server; and
- Use EF-provided web hosting services for the project's primary website.
Note that other services can be used in addition to EF-provided ones, but the EF provided ones must be considered canonical.
Projects are expected spend effort engaging with their community, and court contributions and new developers. Projects are also encouraged to provide mature automated build solutions, maintain both user and contributor documentation, and otherwise engage in activities that encourage participation in the project.
New project sponsors must engage in the process of transitioning an existing project with the intent to continue development of the project code and growth of the community and ecosystem around the project.